Spirit of Truth – March 10, 2018
Introduction: Following Jesus -> John’s account of the Last Supper / Good Friday
Big Idea: Jesus’ death was just the beginning…
Scripture: John 15:18-16:11 (CSB)
John 15:18-25 (CSB)
If the world hates you, understand that it hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own. However, because you are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of it, the world hates you. Remember the word I spoke to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours. But they will do all these things to you on account of my name,because they don’t know the one who sent me. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin. Now they have no excuse for their sin. The one who hates me also hates my Father. If I had not done the works among them that no one else has done, they would not have sin. Now they have seen and hated both me and my Father. But this happened so that the statement written in their law might be fulfilled: They hated me for no reason.
Point One: Not of the World (Disruptive Grace)
- Jesus warns His disciples that since the world rejected Him, they would also be rejected
- As followers of Christ and citizens of heaven, was are not of this world (we will stand out, and our grace will be seen as disruptive)
- We shouldn’t become angry when people who don’t know Jesus reject us (show them the Gospel through grace)
- This world does not understand the grace of Christ (all we can do is pray for hearts to be softened by our love)
John 15:26-16:4a (CSB)
When the Counselor comes, the one I will send to you from the Father— the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father— he will testify about me. You also will testify, because you have been with me from the beginning. I have told you these things to keep you from stumbling. They will ban you from the synagogues. In fact, a time is coming when anyone who kills you will think he is offering service to God. They will do these things because they haven’t known the Father or me. But I have told you these things so that when their time comes you will remember I told them to you.
Point Two: Spirit of Truth (Bear Witness)
- We are called to be witnesses and to allow the Spirit to work through us (stick to the simple truth of who Jesus is and what He came to do)
- Jesus warns us because religious leaders will try to stop the mission of Jesus out of ignorance or fear
- Belief systems that promote hatred and violence are not of the truth (Jesus is the truth)
- Our lives should allow the Spirit to testify of the truth (Fruit of the Spirit – love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control)
John 16:4b-11 (CSB)
I didn’t tell you these things from the beginning, because I was with you. But now I am going away to him who sent me, and not one of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ Yet, because I have spoken these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. Nevertheless, I am telling you the truth. It is for your benefit that I go away, because if I don’t go away the Counselor will not come to you. If I go, I will send him to you. When he comes, he will convict the world about sin, righteousness, and judgment: About sin, because they do not believe in me; about righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you will no longer see me; and about judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged.
Point Three: Sorrow to Hope (Not Alone)
- Jesus says He has to go away in order for the Spirit to come
- Despite the sorrow and upcoming hardships, they should find comfort in the Spirit’s purpose to convict the world
- Jesus may no longer physically walk the earth, but His Spirit continues to change the world (via changed hearts)
- The Gospel changes the world – this movement did not end with Jesus’ death (the Spirit allows us to this message of hope and grace worldwide)
Have you had an experience where someone misunderstood your intentions because they didn’t know Christ?
In what ways can we overcome ignorance and fear in order to point people to Jesus?
Describe a time in your life where you moved from sorrow to joy.